Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"The Lego Movie" review




Everything WAS Awesome!

Absolutely brick-tastic!  I must begin with a brief description of my history with Lego bricks.  It all began in 1976 with the first Lego set I ever owned:

#585 Police Headquarters


This is one of the first Lego creations I ever made:


Over the years I accumulated a massive collection and built many things (click here for my website).  I was a founding member of a local club of adult builders and discovered millions more fans and their amazing work on the internet.  The scope, detail and variety of creations is staggering.  For many reasons, I decided to sell my collection and move on.  I do not regret it, but I am still a fan of Lego and I often miss my bricks and the creative inspiration they would ignite in me.


When I heard that the Lego Company was going to make a movie, I became genuinely excited when I learned Phil Lord and Christopher Miller had been chosen to direct.  These men proved their abilities to direct action comedies with the delightfully surprising “21 Jump Street”, and “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” showed that they understood how to be silly and funny on a child’s level without abandoning necessary character drama.


However, the trailers for the film strongly suggested the typical deluge of frenetic action and repeated screaming that taints much of children’s entertainment.  I worried that the experience would be another long, exhausting diatribe of visual and sonic bombast.  I’ve never been so happy to be proved wrong!  While there are many jam-packed action sequences, they are beautifully choreographed, exciting and hilarious all at the same time.  These madcap bits are gracefully bracketed by quiet moments of character and story development that balance out the plastic chaos.


The story begins with Emmett, a construction worker in Lego City who is believed to be the Chosen One.  His task is to become a Master Builder and save the world from Lord Business, whose desire for order compels him to glue everything and everyone in Lego City in place forever.  During Emmett’s journey, he meets many historic Lego characters, from the Classic Space astronaut to Batman, and each one has an important role in aiding Emmett on his quest.

 
Even though this was all quite familiar, I was having a great time.  From the moment the film began I had a huge grin on my face.  Phil Lord and Chris Miller knew that many parents in the audience would have fond memories of the bricks from their childhood, and included LOTS of references specifically for them.  I laughed and applauded when certain Lego bricks were highlighted along with their specific part numbers, a very nerdy nod that only an Adult Lego Enthusiast like myself would get!  My widening smile took on Cheshire Cat proportions, and then the third act began.


I had been told by some close friends that I would get hit right in the feels at this point, and OMIGAWD, they were not kidding!  My eyes began to dog paddle as the audience is finally told why Emmett has become swept up in this amazing adventure.  The child in me nearly wept at the celebration of imagination and its power to transform, while the adult side reveled in the insistence that this juvenile capacity to dream and create never be quashed.  Our imagination is one of our greatest gifts, and we should embrace it as fully as possible.  It fulfills us, inspires us and sustains us through all of life’s challenges.

Play well!

No comments:

Post a Comment